Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A long week of shows Pt. 2- Daft Punk





Will do this random thoughts style, like my review of the Nuge.

Best celebrity sighting- Dennis Miller with two teenage boys
Most Obvious celebrity sighting- James Murphy

The visuals were out of control. It felt like I was rocking out at an alien invasion, where they truly do come in peace. To bring you funk. Their intro music was the Close Encounters theme, to really bring it all home.

On the horribly inefficient beer line a girl wearing pajamas started flirting with me. It was mostly uneventful (and all just in good fun Bollocks) but things went painfully south when I told her I was "spinning" the Girl Talk album a lot. This led to a quick conversation about how I am "old school" and still use the term spinning even if I mean listening to something on my iPod. When this led to her finding out I'm 30, she turned to the guy behind me who she said "looks like Zack Braff" (he didn't) and stopped talking to me. Yikes. Although, can't we take the word "spinning" back? Hard drives spin, right? But apparently I'm hitting the age where if I talk to a hipster girl in pajamas I am a pedophile.

As beautiful as the pyramid and the outside light structures were, the music was only OK. I thought the album versions of all of the Human After All songs are far superior. My favorite song, "The Prime Time of your Life" seemed like a perfect drugged out live show no-brainer. As it is on the record that song is perfect. The weird cutesy droned out remix took away a lot of the power and sentiment. On the flip side, the perfect synergy between sound and visuals on "Steam Machine" was one of my concert going highlights of the year.

Keyspan park is an awesome show venue and they do not oversell it. I will find an excuse to go back there next year.

Kraftwerk is still the best presentation of live electronic music I have ever seen, but Daft Punk was completely insane. I think those pics say much more than my words.

A blog about recording Metal in Brooklyn.