Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Third Time's a Charm!


So courtesy of my new friend Janine, I got to see Art Brut at the Bowery last night. We walked in during Art Brut's first song so we missed openers Holy Hail, whose drummer was my band mate for close to 8 years, Matt Cuttler. Matt if you ever see this, apologies. I totally intended to make it in time for ya. On the plus side, I'm sure with the sold out crowd and Art Brut's admiration you weren't looking out for my ugly ass.

Anyways, this was my third time seeing Art Brut. After Jacktastic hipped me to the band, I fell in love with them like most other people. How can you argue with the honesty and glee in Eddie Argos' lyrics? And the music is charming British punk rock. The first time I heard the song "Good Weekend," where Eddie Argos happily proclaims "I've seen her naked twice! I've seen her NAKED!!!! TWICE!!!!!!!" I was instantly endeared. They played (I believe) their first NYC show at the Mercury Lounge about a year ago. I actually knew when tickets were going on sale and jumped on Ticketweb immediately, like I was buying god damned Rush tickets. But we scored, and my posse of Madeleine, Jacktastic, and Larrian went to the show.

What we saw was......less than impressive. They were awkward, but not in that endearing way that was so charming on the record. They were sloppy, in the amateur way, not the punk rock way. Everything went horribly wrong. Larry walked out early. A few tunes later, Mad Jacktastic and myself followed suit. It was a crushing disappointment. Mad didn't understand. She assumed I liked them because they were bad as a shtick. Ehhhhhh yes, this is true but I also wanted an aggressive sweaty band to be playing these songs. Not a bunch of fashionistas led by a frontman who seemed very uncomfortable in the limelight. All of those songs work because of just how un-self-conscious he sounds singing them. Maybe in the studio, but not live.

We tried again. Art Brut played Irving Plaza a few months and a whole lot of records sold later, and the Spinto Band were opening. Mad loves them. I had never heard them and was a bit appalled at how lame they were. Thank jumping jeebus Rob from Punk Metal Karaoke was there in the back drinking his ass off. I joined him and shot the shit about Metal during their set. Afterwards Art Brut was more polished and a bit more enjoyable, but still far from prime time.

Why did I go last night? I dunno, I was offered a ticket. I have been listening to the record a bit again and knew they were finally debuting a bunch of new songs for album #2.

Well I'm glad I decided to suck it up and give them one last shot. They magically transformed into the band I wished they were in the first place. By the third song the non-mustachioed Eddie Argos already had his tie off, his shirt unbuttoned and was drowning in a pool of sweat. He worked the crowd with a punk rock ferocity that matched the energy level of the records. He is still a dork but fame has worked wonders for him. The replacement guitarist seemed to really fit in and wasn't just a skinny model boy more concerned with posing and looking HOT than rocking out. He also became a much more angular and aggressive player. What can I say? I was blown away! The new material rocks, the stage banter was great. It was a perfect evening.

Until of course the lines started to blur. What time did we get out of there? 12:30? How did we wind up at Winnie's drinking shots on fire and singing 70's classic rock (Her "Sister Christian," me "Surrender") to three drunk Irish dudes? What the hell was in that drink they called "Purple Rain" that was not purple and tasted suspiciously like a Long Island Iced Tea? How did fried dumplings enter my body at 2AM when I have temporarily sworn off fried foods and have been enjoying a pseudo vegan lifestyle of hummus and soy proteins and seltzer?

I don't know, but today was a DOOZY at work. Was today quiet? OH FUCK NO! Clients canceled, creative was screwed up, it was a nightmare and everyone decided to take it out on each other with a lot of yelling. At least I didn't show up until 10:30.

So now I sit here with my seltzer and trendy hipster hangover treatments waiting for Lost to come on at 10. I will enjoy my day of rest and "personal reflection" and then tomorrow? Well tomorrow should be pretty cool :-)

A blog about recording Metal in Brooklyn.