Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Shower

I take notoriously long showers. Upwards of 30 minutes long. Those who are witness often wonder (or complain if I make them run late) how the hell anyone can be in the shower that long. What can I possibly be doing in there?

Walking home from the train today it hit me. I think. Well, I always knew I think in the shower but the revelation I had was the shower is the ONLY time in my life when I don't have any distractions at all. The, uh, other thing we all do in the bathroom? I'm reading.

Walking around? iPod. Subway? You better believe iPod! When I'm home? TV, computer, a book or I'm making music.

I never have any time when I am completely alone with my thoughts. Hell I like to keep the TV on when I'm falling asleep to suppress all the things I think about in the shower!

What am I thinking about in the shower? It doesn't matter. Sometimes I am writing a song (I do my best writing "hearing" music in my head and transcribing it on a guitar), sometimes I am writing an email in my head or figuring out a solution to a problem. I may be thinking of ways to improve my curry recipe. It doesn't matter. I realized I have 15-30 minutes per day with nothing to distract me but hot running water and a bar of soap.

Scary, huh?

A blog about recording Metal in Brooklyn.