Monday, July 16, 2007

Randomness

Everyone talks about how their iPod has a psychic connection to them, knows exactly the right song to play at the right moment, etc. We all know these great moments of serendipity on a pure scientific level are just coincidences, no more a matter of the spirit than Mother Nature giving you a sunny day on your wedding.

However, does anyone know about the algorithms used to generate playlists when you hit shuffle?

I am not going to make a generalization right now. This is fact. Out of the 8,619 songs, 739 albums and 300 artists in my iPod, Fear Factory ALWAYS comes up in the first 15 songs. Always. Without fail. Looking at my stats via iTunes, I have 87 Fear Factory songs. How come I don't get the same success rate out of my 261 They Might Be Giants songs, 297 Rush songs, 116 Slayer songs, 132 Hawkwind songs, 225 Frank Zappa songs or the 142 Pink Floyd songs?

What is so special about Fear Factory that they ALWAYS come up in the first 15?

Does *my* iPod have feelings and is a huge Fear Factory fan or has science completely run amok?

A blog about recording Metal in Brooklyn.