Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A King of Metal


So this Saturday night, there is going to be a tribute to a fallen Metal Warrior who recently passed away while on the job. As far as I am concerned that is the worst way to go!

In tribute there is going to be a crazy Metal show at a place called Dingbatz in East Bumblefuck New Jersey where Ross the Boss is going to be playing a set of classic Manowar for the first time in America since 1987 or so. Who is in his band? Mike Sabatini, the drummer of NJ band Attacker, Mike Lepond, bassist of perennial prog favorites Symphony X (the Rolling Stones to Dream Theaters' Beatles), and Prometheus, the singer of my band Gods of Fire.

I missed the first rehearsal because at that point I had nothing to do with this show. Then I got the call last week to do heavy death vocals for the middle portion of Bridge of Death. After working with the band I am also going to be doing backups for Hail and Kill and Battle Hymns, although this will all be from the sound board, and not directly on stage.

OK. Last night was AWESOME. Just watching Mike Lepond set up his gear was so awesome I wanted to throw money at him. His warmups blow away most people at their prime. He is playing Joey Demaio's parts with ONE FINGER! And Ross....well...Ross is a trip.

Now don't get me wrong. He was really nice and a true Metal Warrior. He was also a founding member of Manowar. And if anyone reading this has ever doubted for a moment whether or not Manowar is "for real," let me just put those rumors to rest right now. Manowar are SERIOUS PEOPLE.

Fun facts I learned last night-

-Ross the Boss HATES King Diamond. Hates him. End of discussion. Do not bring up the King in front of the Boss. Apparently they had some squabble around 1983 during a British tour where Manowar would not let Mercyful Fate use their amps (Ross' 12 guitar cabs and Joey's 24 bass cabs) and they bailed off the tour instead of fighting Manowar physically. So...yeah. Ross HATES the King. I've got nothing.
-Ross the Boss LOVES Dimmu Borgir, even though they were worshiping some sort of relic back stage before going on.
-RtB was once voted the third best keyboard player in Germany. Who were the first two you may ask? I was curious too, I assumed it would have been Ralf and Florian but it turns out he was beaten by John Lord and Don Airey. I offhandedly remarked "well those two can't really be fucked with," and I mean, have you heard Deep Purple? Playing a few pads in a Manowar tune, and chasing Blackmore's leads in the live version of Child in Time from Made in Japan are really not in the same league. But with full confidence he looked me in the eye and said "I'm noone to fuck wit', neither!" Genius.

There was more. Maybe I'll post more at some point. Oh oh oh! He called Karl Logan "Jive," although he acquiesced that he plays the old Manowar parts better than anyone that has replaced Ross the Boss.

And why did RtB, 50% of the creative team of Manowar leave the band? There is no surprise there. It is the same reason you would. He was sick of Joey Demaio's shit. Joey, btw, if you have seen the new photos for God of War is looking more like Derek Smalls everyday.

So Saturday is going to RULE. You had to hear these people whip out Kill With Power. Holy mother God of Fucking Holy Metal Fucks! Seven Witches and Devils Island are playing as well. Should be a great time.

A blog about recording Metal in Brooklyn.